Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Grace of a King

The Grace of a King - Vorylin

I was born a prince; an inheritor to my father's land.
I was raised by my father, my mother, and the royal counselors and I became
A fair-headed, aspiring man. I was taught everything there was to learn
About the kingdom I would soon come to reign over. I was instructed in the
Ways of mathematics, reading and writing of scripture, commerce,
Geography, history, philosophy, alchemy, governing, empire, architecture,
Religion, and chivalry. With this knowledge I had accrued, I sought to be
A ruler of and for the people. I wanted to bring the kingdom into a golden age in which
My children would succeed me and continue my work.
Eventually, my time had come. My father had stepped down as ruler over the
Kingdom as was the custom from times of old. My first act as king was
To exit the castle and wander into the surrounding villages that dotted the capital of my
Domain. I did this so that I would try and get to know my subjects on deeper basis
So that I may serve them better. Though this task was daunting, I was determined to do it.
Four years had then passed since my kingship had begun. The kingdom was one was of the
Most successful kingdoms that had ever existed. I had added some more
Council to my royal cabinet of advisers to further my understanding.
With our combined knowledge and wisdom, I thought that we had a bright future ahead
Of us. It was a custom of the tribune, a conglomerate of kings in an alliance, to meet every two
Fortnights and discuss things both good and bad happening in our respective kingdoms so that we
May support each other financially and mentally. We presented our customs and spoke to each
Other; we then proceeded to head back to our respective realms. When I had returned home, I
Took notice of a beautiful woman. I was a king yes, but I was still a virgin and a bachelor.
She took me aback for I had never seen a woman so beautiful in my realm.
As it turns out, she was a visitor another realm.
I thought to myself and realized that I was in my middle twenties and I had
Yet to find my queen. I decided that I would try to make her my wife.
Thoughts of her began to swallow my mind. I would reminisce and daydream
Adviser and Alliance meetings away so that I may not lose sight of my goal.
It was her; she was that goal. It became so controlling, that it wouldn't
Be much longer until I had started neglecting my kingdom.
It started ever so slightly when I commanded my treasury to start investing
In foreign treasures. I started looking outwards instead of inwards. I sought to make my
Kingdom beautiful whether or not it prospered. I stopped seeking the input of my
Subjects . Not only that, I simply stopped talking to my subjects altogether as I would
Not leave my castle; I wouldn't even leave for Alliance meetings. When I believed the time
Was right, I asked for that girl to be summoned to the kingdom by any means; yet I prayed
That force would not be necessary. It wasn't in the end and I was thankful. When
She arrived, I called on a favor that my people would help me put on an elegant celebration
For her return that I would then be able to ask her if she'd like to be courted and eventually
proposed to in marriage. All was well until I had asked her hand in courtship. She had
Denied me for she had already belonged to another unbeknownst to my knowledge.
It pierced my heart like a javelin. I sent her home and I locked myself away in my chambers.
It was there that I changed. My heart hardened to that of diamond buried in the earth.
It was then that I became a tyrant. I was cruel, merciless, brutal, etc. I gave my subjects
Who had been nothing but good to my hardship that the kingdom had never seen.
It wasn't long until word had reached the Alliance. According to an ancient treaty, the allied
Kings were to amass their armies and march on the fallen sire's castle. They did just that
And even had help from the citizen populace. It was a fierce fight; I had lost many a loyal
Soldier in the short yet bloody battle. In honor of my ancestors, I was not executed for my
Transgression. Instead, I was cast out of the kingdom that was once mine. Lonely, I was
Banished to roam outside my former realm. I became horrifically pale, skinny, decrepit.
Onlookers and passersby would recognize me and curse my name. I would
Say nothing back to them. I would only cry for I lamented my actions and I hated
Everything that I had become. One day, however, I was asleep on the road. A Foreigner
Was riding in a carriage in good company. He had a great army, cavalry, cavalcade,
Procession. He had wore the most beautiful clothes I'd ever seen. When he looked at me,
He did not look at me with disdain. He would look at me with pained compassion.
He stepped out of his carriage and took me by the hand. When I stood to my feet, He embraced
Me. All that the two of us could do was cry. How could such a good Man love someone
That was as forsaken as I was a blight upon existence? All I know is that through this embrace,
I felt great Love. He had looked upon me with great kindness and mercy; two things that I
Had not shown to another for five long years in which I spent exiled from civilization.
This Man was the epitome of Good. He looked at the great many that traveled with Him.
When they looked at me, they had such a burning hatred and disdain in their eyes and hearts
For me. But when He looked at them, their expressions softened. They then looked back at me
And they themselves began to weep. After this was over, they loaded me into the carriage with my
Savior. He was a Man of great, unspeakable power, justice, glory, and love. Being in His very
Presence set me at ease. After three days of traveling, we then stopped. I looked out the window
And noticed a very familiar sight. We were in the courtyard of the castle of the land that I was
Called my very home. A great, crippling fear then overtook me. I feared for my life knowing
That the price of me once again coming home would mean my death. But He looked upon me
With great concern. He whispered some words and immediately I was set at ease.
He assured me that I would not die. We disembarked from the vehicle. I lost my breath
When I noticed that the kingdom that I had once ruled was in even greater glory
Than when my forefathers or even I had reigned. I was taken into the castle and to
My great surprise: I was locked in my old chambers. Oh how I had missed them!
I was left in there for two days. Afterward, I was taken in shackles before the King. The very
Man who was my Savior was the King! He sat on my throne and wore a crown I'd never seen.
My old crown was there at His feet. I then was tried for my crimes against my fellow man.
But the verdict which I was sure to be guilty was not so; the King found me innocent!
How could that be so? I had done so much evil to my fellow man! And yet He looked upon
Me with love. I found myself on my knees before Him, before the elders of the populace,
Before the heads of the alliance. I then began to weep greatly. I cried until I could shed no
More tears. The King then took me and embraced me. We cried even more; the whole of everyone
In attendance then began to do the same. I then asked what was to happen. He said that I
Would never become King and my children would never sit on the throne. I felt great sorrow
at this. But He then told me to fear not. He explained that He would rule the kingdom of mine
Forever. I asked how could that be? I simply said “I AM.” At this, I fell to my knees to
Hail the King of my kingdom. He was so gracious that He had spared me of my sins and He
donned me as the regent; I was to be His right-hand man in all affairs. Until the day I die,
I will wear crown I once did. However, a time will come when the kingdom would meet with Him
And worship Him. I too am to do so. At this, I would lay my crown at His feet in complete
Compliance with His Majesty's will. All in all, almost thirty eight years of my life had passed
And His Kingdom, formerly my kingdom and throne, is prosperous. It will forever be prosperous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And the people said...