Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Zion

Zion
I'm scared out of my mind; I'm alone; I'm thirsty; I'm wounded. I'm wandering in this barren wasteland. I'm so weak that I stumble and fall to the ground a couple of times every few minutes. I don't want to die, but I feel as if I don't want to live either. I long to return home and return to those I love, but I can't. My darkness, chains, and debts wait for me there and chase me even here. They're no more than a day behind me in travel.
I see this really tall Mountain in the distance. There are many mountains, but this one stands out above all the others quite literally. I should probably take shelter there to hide, prevent death due to exposure, and hopefully stumble upon a feasible form of sustenance. I decide to make way to that Mountain; there is something foreboding, yet awesome, about it that catches my attention. It's almost as if I here Something telling me to run to it. As it says, so I do as I have nothing else telling me otherwise. I run to it as fast as I can while trying to retain consciousness. I finally reach the foot of the Formation and begin to climb cliffs and traverse winding paths. Near the top, I find grasses and edible berries with a flowing stream. I begin to eat and drink freely; the berries are invigorating and the water tastes... different... if I didn't know any better, I'd say it is alive. As I finish a meal long deserved after a day and a half of not eating, I decide to lay down in the dewy grass to get some rest. I close my eyes immediately, and I plunge into the warm blackness of sleep. I wake up and it is almost dusk. Weird; it was almost dusk when I shut my eyes.... I slept an entire day. Oh, man. That's nice. I decide to descend the mountain and continue on my journey to, well, I don't know where. It feels as if there's something telling me that I should stay, but I'm not paying it any real attention. I've only been walking for what feels like seven minutes when the sun sets and night settles. This can't be the best for me, but I'll walk on regardless. I feel this presence as I continue to trek. I don't like the feel of it in the slightest. It feels void and dark.... Around a couple miles ahead of me, it seems as if there's this wall of darkness speeding its way towards me. I have no idea what this is, but I don't want to find out.... then it strikes me.... that's the evil I left at home! It seeks to devour me and leave me barren. I turn around and run back to the Mountain with renewed vigor seeking safety. As I approach the Mountain and begin to climb, I notice the darkness stopped a certain distance from the Mountain's base. This makes no sense. What's so special about this Mountain that these shadows don't want to have anything to do with? I find the closest cave that I can and I duck into it and close my eyes. The next time I open them, it's the middle of the day. I slept rather peacefully. I decide to stick around on the Mountain for a few days. These days pass uneventfully; that doesn't mean that things didn't happen. I felt different. I felt at peace; I felt at home; I felt safe. It made me feel complete. It is a strange thing – this Mountain. I feel as if I want to stay here forever, yet at the same time, I feel as if I cannot stay. Following the latter feeling, I decide to set off once more. After descending the Mountain and walking out away from it for a good few miles, I take a look back at It. It dominates the landscape and can be seen for many, many miles around. I miss It already. As I face forward moving on towards whatever, the sky darkens once more and so does my soul along with my countenance. Out of nowhere, the darkness that's pursued me from the beginning descends from the sky again so as to devour me. I quickly turn around and begin a mad dash for the Mountain. I long to be safe again, but I want to be home; I know that can't be possible. As I run to the Mountain, I see a blinding light form at the peak of It. I continue to run nonetheless. Suddenly, a booming Voice thunders from the heavens lets out a mighty roar and the shadows stop dead in their rampage. The light shines and dispels all shadow except for the embodiment that has plagued me from the start. I make it all the way up to the first perch that I had called safety deep within the Mountain. This Voice then speaks declaring, “you shall no longer seek this child. He is mine and I won't have anything else yearning for him. Your curses and burdens and chains be broken! Darkness, burn and fall!” I burst into tears as I watch the darkness disintegrate in a shining flash of light before my eyes. I then hear a swift, small voice whisper to my heart, “My son, I am the Maker of this world. There is no force more powerful than I, so feel free to depend on Me with all of your being. This Mountain of which you stand is My Mountain: Zion. Whenever you feel lost, trapped, wounded, transgressed, depressed, shattered, trampled, chained, or afflicted, come to Me. Run to Me! I am your strong Tower, your Provider, your ever-present Helper in your time of need, your Healer, your Liberator, your Shield, your Creator, your God. The troubles of your home are no more; if more are to arise, which they will, seek Me with all your heart and I will be there for you. Don't find yourself unworthy for I find you worthy. Go in peace. Remember Me and My Mountain.” My heart is broken open wide and I do as I'm told. With tears of joy and gratitude, I begin the trek home as it's been revealed to me. The confusion which sent me wandering aimlessly is dead. Whenever I am weak, I will seek that which is my Fortress.




Musical Inspiration: Strong Tower – Kutless

No comments:

Post a Comment

And the people said...