Saturday, June 8, 2013

Code Name: Guild Next Door

No one asked me to do the intro for our little collective of friends, but I figured it would be okay if I did. So is this okay? Oh, well, I'm doing it anyway. And I'm not saying I'm the best person for it, but I would say that the people I work with are some of my best friends and I think that I can get this done.
So raise your hand if you have ever felt the lack of good, accesible, online media content.... Okay so that's about 579 of you. Great that's a start! Well when Alex suggested that we all get together and create this guild I was so excited. I think I scared Andrew a little bit at one point. I was excited because as someone who works with a ton of online media I find it hard to find places with good, substantial, content. I personally saw this guild as an opportunity to create and share good art and media. As for the rest of our band of Merry Men it was also such and opportunity.
When we first started talking about this I was saying that this was an opportunity to create what we wanted to on the schedule that we want to create it. Andrew (who was actually trying to tease me ha-ha Andrew) said something along the lines of "We can create it HOW we want to as well!" Well that was the point that I scared Andrew, because I sort of jumped him and yelled "YES! Exactly!" And all joking aside that is exactly what we are aiming to do; make good online art that reflects who we are as people.
Really we are just a few kids who grew up together who happen to like similar things. I should say that while somethings we like are similar, we are very different people. Heather, CB, and I write, it's part of who we are. But Heather writes non-fiction, while CB and I write mostly fiction, and our styles of writing fiction ar very different. Anthony and Taylor are artist, Maga artists to be specific. But they too have different styles in how they do things. Jason is somewhat of an artist too, but he mainly likes to draw weapons for characters that Taylor and Anthony draw; he's one dedicated kid.  Andrew is a musician, he plays guitar on the youth worship team at our chuch. He's also one of the smartest kids on out team. Alex is probably the hardest to pin down because we never know what he's going to do. Recently he sent me a self portrait in the drawing style that Brian Lee O'malley uses to draw Scott Pilgrim. But if you ask him, he won't subscribe to the lable "visual artist". He doesn't really subscribe to any lable because likes to touch on all of it.
We all bond over books we all like to read and movies we like to watch and games we like to play. The bond that we have is not something that happened over night, it is continuously growing. That's why we decided that this guild was a good idea. Basically we are people who doing the things we love, with the people we love, in the way we love to do it. I have seen people work together and their friendship suffers for it, but I have the utmost confidence that because of what we have built already that won't be our case. We know how to disagree and we know how to overcome that disagreement. We're here to stay.
We decided early on that being apart of this wasn't about making content for other people; it's about making it for each other because we love each other. And beyond that it's to give glory to God in all that we do, because He's the reason we are friends to begin with. Beyond creating things that are worth while I think this is about growing closer as not just a group of friends, but as a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And the people said...